Blog #6
CM125 Day 10 Blog Assignment
Exploring our Assumptions
Directions:
As discussed in class today, the Merriam-Webster Dictionary defines assume as meaning “to take for granted or true, though not proved.” For this blog assignment you are asked to:
Find, and insert into your blog entry, a link to either a brief article or video that addresses the cautions of making assumptions.
Assumptions - https://www.harleytherapy.co.uk/counselling/making-assumptions.htm
Provide a one-paragraph summary of the key points from the article or video.
- when making assumptions our brains search for " mental models" ( patterns)
- most assumptions are learned behaviors ( being embedded through how? what we saw from those around us)
- being conditioned to think a certain way can stay with you- even if you try to change that old mindset
- assumptions can bring your mood down
- creates negative thinking
- always assuming you know what and how people feel can cause you to stop listening to them and hearing them out
- you potentially block possibilities and opportunities
- ASSUME - Making an ass out of you and me.
HOW TO STOP MAKING ASSUMPTIONS:
1. recognize that you are making assumptions
2. avoid "why" questions and ask "what" & "how" questions
3. realize that you don't have to be in control of everything
4. notice when you are assuming & look into the places you feel stuck
5. BE MINDFUL
In 1-2 brief paragraphs, reflect on how you might apply the information from the article or video in your communication with others, either one-on-one, in small group discussions, or in larger communication contexts.
What I take from this informational experience is that I don't have to be in control of everything. In order for success, you don't need to know everything, in fact going with the flow can provide less stress for both parties - you and others-. With this, I can learn how to step away from what I was conditioned to as a child and step into my awareness of what's around me. Adapting to this new way of thinking will not only open more doors of opportunities but also guide me to understand the world better.
As I teach myself to go with the flow I can use these new tactics as a roadmap instead of a rule template. Given the five steps of learning how not to make assumptions, I could incorporate this practice in my everyday life for better results. Remembering that this is for the greater good and not being so hard on myself to avoid unnecessary stress. One way I could start using this strategy is in my group work; instead of focusing on what my group can complete in the future, we can focus on what we can get down in the present moment. This will help me practice on not needing to know everything or be in control.
Wow! In addition to finding a wonderful article, you have provided a fine, detailed summary of the key points ....as well as connecting this information to your life experience. (Great idea to apply it to group work!)
ReplyDelete